Sorry I didn’t mean to start off by yelling at you but I’m just so excited!! It has been the best and most exciting thing I’ve ever done. I’ve also leave a lot along the way so I thought I would share some of the things I’ve learned!!!
1. The number one thing I heard from people when we were looking at houses was “They are so much work to take care of and its so expensive.” Honestly I enjoy paying my house payment (I know sounds silly right?!) but it’s so fufilling to know you work so hard to keep a good thing!! I’m head over heels in love with my house.
2. Whatever you don’t know… You’ll figure out. Before I bought a house I think I scrubbed the toilet maybe twice… Now I do it all the time! We didn’t know how to open and run a pool either but hey we figured it out!!
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Going back to the pool… David and I are both super stubborn so we opened the pool all alone pretending we knew what we were doing. Really we didn’t but we only broke one thing that was easily fixable!
4. Remember to spend time with your roommate (that’s what I call David and it makes him mad 😂) not worrying about the house or your to-do list. When we first got the house we were so infatuated it’s all we talked about and we spent all of our time at the new house. Sometimes you just need to step away from everything and focus on each other though! ❤️
5. Create a home you absolutely love! I got into decorating when we moved in. I would look at magazines and pinterest and try to duplicate them. Find your own style and make it work. I go to random antique stores and buy things I like then find a place for them in the house. 90 percent of my buys are spontaneous items I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT!! It doesn’t always need to be well thought out and planned and all find the same theme just find items you’ll like to look at everyday!
6. Another decor tip: don’t be afraid to wait for the right item to come along. It took me five months to find a TV console for our living room and it drove David nuts but I finally found the right one with a killer price tag!!!
7. Always clean the kitchen before you go to bed. Nothing makes me happier than walking downstairs to find a clean house. Especially all the dishes put away and the counters sparkling!
8. Find a routine that works for you. Many people say do one load of laundry a day…. Well I hate that. I prefer to do alllll the laundry in one day to get it over with. Then I let it pile up and do it all over again. Just make it work for you!
9. Be organized. This is especially helpful when it comes to paying bills auto-pay is always a good option or write them on a calendar! If I don’t write it in my planner it’s not happening. That’s goes for anything in my life homework, babysitting, even hanging out with friends! Must. Be. Organized!
10. Do whatever you want! It’s your house sometimes David and I have food fights, most of the time I sit on the kitchen counter and I always stand on the furniture (all things my mom taught me not to do). Sorry Mom!
These are just a few tidbits I thought I would share to celebrate one year of being a homeowner with the love of my life!! I hope you enjoyed if you have any fun stories or tips feel free to leave them in the comments section below or on my Instagram!!
Thanks for stopping by!!
❤️ Jocelyn ❤️